Sunday, January 15, 2012

Potty Training, already??

We have had a potty chair for Nicole for awhile now.  We got it awhile back because Nicole was consistantly going potty right before she got in the bath tub, so we thought we would introduce her to it.  She really did not want to have much to do with it, so it has been either collecting dust or used as a stool for me while I give her a bath. She has sat on it a few times, but I really believe her little bottom is just too small, so it isn't very comfortable for her.

A couple weeks ago, a friend let us borrow a potty book, so I brought it upstairs and asked if she wanted to potty in her chair and she said yes.  So we gave it a try and she did it!!! I was soo excited for her.  Then the next morning, she did it again.  I was super excited even though I know it is only the very beginning.  I've been looking for months for articles and books on when to start.  There are about 7-10 milestones to look for and Nicole only has done a few of them.  I think the ones she does not do are significant enough that we aren't 100% ready, but we will continue to socialize it and give her every opportunity to use the potty and praise her when she does. 

Physical signs

Is coordinated enough to walk, and even run, steadily. - Yes

Urinates a fair amount at one time. - Yes

Has regular, well-formed bowel movements at relatively predictable times. -Yes
Has "dry" periods of at least two hours or during naps, which shows that his bladder muscles are developed enough to hold urine.- Sometimes, but not consistently

Behavioral signs

Can sit down quietly in one position for two to five minutes. - Not without a book

Can pull his pants up and down. -Sometimes, but she has a problem with them around her ankles

Dislikes the feeling of wearing a wet or dirty diaper.-Nope, she could care less

Shows interest in others' bathroom habits (wants to watch you go to the bathroom or wear underwear). -Yes

Gives a physical or verbal sign when he's having a bowel movement such as grunting, squatting, or telling you.-Yes

Demonstrates a desire for independence. -Yes

Takes pride in his accomplishments. -Yes

Isn't resistant to learning to use the toilet. -Yes

Is in a generally cooperative stage, not a negative or contrary one. -Man, I wish I could say yes to this one

Cognitive signs

Understands the physical signals that mean he has to go and can tell you before it happens or even hold it until he has time to get to the potty. -Yes

Can follow simple instructions, such as "go get the toy." -Yes

Understands the value of putting things where they belong. -Not Yet

Has words for urine and stool.-Yes
 

Initially I wasn't ready at all.  I was sort of hoping she wouldn't show interest until Shaun comes back in a few months, but it looks like we may be potty training before then.  I would love to be done with diapers, but I know the alternative will be challenging for the next year or so.  In the meantime, I'll look into the best ways to start the process and get her ready.  It is so exciting, and it amazes me how big my little girl is getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment