Sunday, January 15, 2012

Moving Up

This week has been a big week for Nicole.  She has had some issues at daycare with biting.  She gets very anxious with the other kids get in her space and she is struggling with how to verbalize it.  Unfortunately, she chooses biting sometimes.  Wednesday was an especially bad day for her.  When I dropped her off, I was amazed to see that most of her friends have transitioned to the 2-yr old room, so now Nicole is one of 2 of the "big kids" in the twoddler room at daycare.  Every day this week she did not want to go to her room, instead she wanted to go see her friends in the bigger kid room.  Wednesday, around lunchtime I got a call that Nicole had bitten 2 kids in her room.  At daycare, they think it is because she misses Shaun, but I didn't believe that because she has been doing okay with that and she had talked to him that morning.  I told her I thought it was because she missed her friends that had already moved up.  She said she would look into moving Nicole up sooner.  Luckily, she was able to start transitioning her, so now she is in the 2yr old room.  We've known for a long time that Nicole has hit most of her developmental milestones ahead of schedule and she should be in the older kid room based on that rather than her actual age. I'm excited to see what new milestones she hits as she gets challenged a little more.

We also turned her car seat around this week.  I was set on keeping her rear-facing until she was two along with the new AAP recommendations, but Nicole hates riding in the car and wants constant entertainment.  Every day the longest part of my drive is the 2 miles to and from daycare.  Even when I play her music, she is just not happy most days.  She is only barely above the 20lb requirement (21.6 today), so I was not in a hurry.  At this point, I think for safety reasons (me less distracted=safer drive), I will turn her around now.  I took her for a ride and she did like it better, but I don't know if it had the intended effect.  We'll see how it goes as she gets more used to it.  It does make me nervous though because I know she is safer rear facing for as long as possible, but I believe that is only true if I can drive without serious distractions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment